Sunday, June 6, 2010

Live Event Painting




"The First Dance" 18'x24" pastel on sanded paper

I tried live event painting Saturday night, I figured I would take my plein air experience and trade my bug spray and sun hat for a lamp on my easel and heels. I headed to a wedding reception to paint the experience. It was much harder than I thought, first I have no practice painting crowds. Second having people watching me constantly was different, I am used to the occasional hiker - not constant attention. It was fun, and a good challenge. I may try it again.

About the painting:
I used a circle composition for those of you who study art, and I put the
distance between the bride and groom's faces in the golden mean - that is
the intended focal point. I tried to keep the rest dark, but imply the
crowd. The little girl dragging her dad onto the dance floor (or him
dragging her off) is intended to be an arrow pointing you to the focal
point.

No comments:

Post a Comment